A delegation from the China Electricity Council (CEC) made an official working visit to the NEPAD Agency in South Africa. The visiting delegation was led by Mr Yang Kun, Executive President of the China Electricity Council and accompanied by representatives from the South African office of the State Grid Corporation of China (the largest utility company in the world).
The objectives of the visit were threefold;
- Explore Possibilities of linking the China Africa Power Development and Cooperation Forum to promote dialogue between stakeholders and partners who are willing to contribute towards Africa’s Infrastructure Development
- Bilateral Exchange with the NEPAD Infrastructure Team
- An overview of the NEPAD Agency to better understand the work undertaken at NEPAD
The discussions held included a focus on: NEPAD Agency’s footprint; NEPAD Agency’s Regional Integration Infrastructure and Trade Programme and Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) Energy projects; Proposed NEPAD – CEC platform for cooperating on energy issues in Africa, and; China-Africa Power Development and Cooperation Forum.
The general expression by both sides was that there is need and shared desire for a common platform that could link the two parties’ stakeholders in order to accelerate the implementation of PIDA energy projects. The main areas of cooperation that were identified include:
- Proposal for NEPAD Agency to take the lead in coordinating CEC’s engagement with African energy stakeholders on PIDA
- A platform for joint planning under FOCAC. CEC will organise a side-event during the China – Africa Summit
- Jointly organising a multi-stakeholder planning meeting for Inga III
- CEC participation at the upcoming PIDA Week.
- NEPAD Agency and CEC will work on a Memorandum of Understanding listing all areas of cooperation identified as well as timelines for implementation.