The degradation of the Niger River Basin ecosystem may ultimately compromise the existence of local populations and deteriorate their living conditions. This is why the development of the Fomi dam is the best alternative for sustainable development in the Upper Niger, a guarantee of safeguarding the natural resources of the river basin. The project objectives are to:
• Regularise the river regime and preserve the Niger Basin ecosystems
• Improve the living environment of local populations through the production of low-cost electricity
• Ensure basic water supply and livestock watering needs
• Develop Irrigated Agriculture
• Produce low-cost hydroelectricity
• Develop fishing and fish farming
• Improve river navigation and develop ecotourism.